This is the recipe that we sample at the farmers market. It’s a crowd favorite and super easy to make.
- Place cast iron skillet in oven and preheat to 375 •. Melt your butter while you make your batter.
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl. Mix eggs and buttermilk separately.
- Mix wet and dry ingredients until it just comes together.
- Fold hot melted butter into batter, leaving a little in your skillet.
- Pour batter back in the skillet and bake 20-25 minutes until golden brown. (My nose usually tells me when it’s done!)
- 1 1/4 Cups Colonial Milling Cornmeal
- 3/4 Cup All Purpose Flour (use a hard wheat like King Arthur. This isn’t the place for White Lilly flour which is a soft wheat)
- 1/4 Cup Sugar (use a little less if you don’t want it sweet)
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 2 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 1/3 Cups Buttermilk
- 2 Eggs
- 8 Tablespoons REAL Butter. (Yes, it matters! I use salted butter)