My husband, Jon, and I met in high school. He got his dream summer job at 17 cutting hay for a friend. I'm pretty sure that's when he got bit by the bug. From then on, every decision we have made has brought us to this point.
We bought this beautiful old antebellum home 5 years ago and are busy restoring this farm and this house. It was built in the 1790s by the Smith family. This house was built around the time that South Carolina was formed! That's incredible! But, that's a different story for a different time.
We finally are at a point that we can farm the way we want to farm. We grow heirloom corn which is non GMO and focus on managing healthy soil. Want to know the secret? There it is. No shortcuts. It costs money and takes time and research to do it right. We have watched our dirt transform into a healthy, living, bionutrient rich soil that makes it possible to grow flavorful, colorful and nutritious crops. (I'll get Jon to elaborate on that another time for those who are interested)
We grow and mill heirloom corn, but there is so much more to our home than that. We grow chickens for eggs and meat, garden, store our food by canning, pasture pigs and do most of our renovations on our own. There is always a new project to work on!
So, here we are. We are not perfect, but that's just fine with me. In fact I think I like it better that way! We should have lots to laugh about and learn from. Life is about the journey...
- Bellew's Market
- Belue Farms Natural Foods Market in Boiling Springs SC
- Brown’s Meat Market - Cedar Springs
- Carolina Wildlife Farm Supply - Pauline SC
- Garner's Natural Foods
- McDowell Farm - Chesnee (Grits and Cornmeal)
- Motte and Sons Bootlegging Co
Where you can find us in Greenville SC
- New York Butcher Shoppe on Augusta
- Pickwick Pharmacy
- Swamp Rabbit Grocery
Where you can find us in Tryon
- Tryon International Equestrian Center - General Store
We proudly mill for the following
- Downtown Deli and Donuts - Spartanburg SC (Grits)
- The Kennedy - Spartanburg SC
- Piedmont Club - Spartanburg SC (Grits, Cornmeal, Corn flour and Polenta)
- Motte and Sons Bootlegging Co - Spartanburg SC (mash for whiskey)
We were visited by an online magazine called Off the Grid Greenville: The Alternative Guide to Culture in the Upstate last month and we discussed our farming practices, the history of the plantation and lots more. We had a great time showing them around the farm! Here is the link to the article!